Deer Oaks is a recognized APPIC training site in Texas.
Deer Oaks is a member of APPIC (Association of Psychology Postdoctoral and Internship Centers) for postdoctoral training. The APPIC Program is a specialized training program for residents who have completed at least one year of supervised training, preferably at an APPIC or APA approved training site and have completed all other requirements for graduation as a Ph.D., Psy.D., or Ed.D. in the field of Psychology.
More than a Program, an Experience:
- Multi-disciplinary team environment
- Network with 300+ licensed clinicians nation wide
- Gain valuable experience working with senior adults
- Assessment and Consultation
- Psychopharmacology—Understanding Medication Contraindications
- Behavior Management of the Nursing Home Patient
- Individual and group supervision opportunities
- Greater than 65% of time spent providing direct clinical care
- Daily case consultation with on-site supervisor
- Full administrative support provided by corporate headquarters
Scope of Training
Residents receive specialized training in the amazing field of geriatrics. Deer Oaks provides the opportunity for Residents to train with doctoral-level licensed psychologists who provide a wide variety of psychological services for individuals residing in long-term and assisted living facilities. The resident placement offers a fantastic opportunity to increase skills and gain specialized knowledge about providing assessment, testing, therapy, and behavior management services to elderly clients residing in contracted nursing homes and retirement communities. Residents receive group supervision, weekly individual supervision, and additional case consultation as needed/requested by either the resident and or the supervisor. Ideal candidates have strong customer service, networking and collaborative skills with an emphasis on providing quality care in a multi-disciplinary environment.